The Prevent strategy, published by the Government in 2011, is part of a government counter- terrorism strategy the aim of which is to reduce the threat to the UK from terrorism.
At Isleham Primary School, staff are fully aware of the importance of the Prevent duty. They are aware of the procedures we have in place to mitigate the risk posed by radicalisation. These arrangements include:
- Assessing the risk of radicalisation
- The development of an action plan
- Staff training to enable recognition of radicalisation and understanding of risk
- Working in partnership with other agencies
- Understanding referral routes and possible interventions – enabling staff to implement their duty effectively
- A member of staff designated as Prevent lead who will oversee the school’s implementation of Prevent
The risk of radicalisation is seen as a safeguarding issue. Vulnerable children and young people may be targeted in the same way as other areas of risk such as on-line abuse and sexual exploitation.
Prevent duty is fully included in our Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy – reviewed and adopted by Governors annually. The lead member of staff for Prevent is Mrs Lisa Dennis, Finance Manager.